8 May 2007

emusic strikes again

Another month, another great collection of music thanks to my emusic subscription. Outside of my iPod, emusic could be the best music purchase I've ever made. Inside of my iPod, it's, etc.

Strangelet is easily the best Grant-Lee Phillips release since Mobilize back in 2001. Sounds a lot like the old Grant Lee Buffalo days, and that's not a bad thing.

I haven't enjoyed Rickie Lee Jones' The Evening of my Best Day as much as Sermon on Exposition Boulevard, but that's my fault. This is a far more conventional-sounding album; most people will enjoy it more than Sermon. But I don't want to damn it with faint praise. I really, really like this album. I just really, really, really, really like Sermon.

Obviously, because I'm a huge Elvis Costello fan, it was just a matter of time before I downloaded Steve Nieve's Windows (Music For Musician(s) & Open Windows). It's good, if quiet, stuff. I think this one's going to grow on me.

No comments: