9 May 2007

In which Google eats the sun. Well, my data, anyway.

I've had a gmail account since ages ago. And to be honest, I don't know if I've quite given it the respect it deserves. I've basically used it as a backup to my main discorobot.com mail server: all my discorobot mail is copied to the gmail account, which I have in the past pretty much ignored. But recently I've been taking a look at gmail, along with other Google apps. Thanks to this bloke, my day job is thinking of moving from Exchange/Sharepoint/whatever to Google Apps. Being a willing test subject, I've started using my gmail rather than Thunderbird. I've set up iGoogle to show me my gmail, calendar, world clock, my google notebook entries, my most recently used google docs and my del.icio.us links.

Over the past couple of days I've tried creating and editing documents entirely with Google docs and it's not nearly as painful as you'd think it should be. This evening I started a new story with it and it was great. I even did a little squee when I found the word count option. And I don't just squee for anything.

Now I'm contemplating the next logical step: moving the whole discorobot kit & caboodle to Google. Theoretically, all the information I care about would then be available from any computer.

My recent google experience has been really good. And as I migrate my domain over I'll blog what happens. I think it's going to be fun. In a suitably geeky way, of course.

In the meantime, some useful links:
Getting Things Done with Google Notebook
Livin' la Vida Google: A Month-Long Dive Into Web-Based Apps
iGoogle it is!

No comments: