21 Jun 2008

Podcasts! Lots of 'em!

I listen to a lot of podcasts. Seriously.
I've bored you before about how brilliant Starship Sofa is (and helping Tony out with it doesn't make be biased at all) and I assume you're all listening to Spider Robinson's excellent show. So here's some other stuff that's been going through the headphones lately.


Gore Vidal is still mad as hell on the BBC4 Front Row podcast. Also contains a review of the new Sebastian Faulks-penned James Bond novel.

From Ted Talks, Deborah Gordon on how do ants know what to do?. This is probably one of the most intriguing podcasts I've listened to all year and now I can't stop drawing parallels between ant colonies and computer networks and keep bugging people about communicating in aggregate. Every science fiction author needs to listen to this one now!

From Dot Net Rocks, Jeffrey Richter on the Direction of Hardware and John Lam on Iron Ruby

From Hanselminutes, Website Scaling War Stories with Richard Campbell

And finally, the Dungeons and Dragons podcast. I haven't played D&D for years and I'm not likely to in the future. But I really like the discussions about the changes to the 4th edition rules and the difficulties in designing a gaming system. I can relate to the challenges these guys face - it's exactly the same as software development. Yes, I listen to a podcast about a game I don't play not for the game but for the architectural challenges. Yes, I'm that much of a geek

And now, just because The National have been strangely absent from this blog for months, an oldie but a goodie. I discovered The National at the same time as I first read Raymond Carver. That sort of thing is going to have implications.

No comments: