8 Sept 2010

The Christchurch Quake

Christchurch is my home town. It's been completely surreal to see the pictures over the past week. Liz and I were in Melbourne when it hit. I was planning another day and Worldcon, turned on the TV over breakfast and there it was.

Far as I know most of my friends and family are shaken, but OK. My brother ended up needing a new water tank, but he's out in the country and apart from the mess, seems OK.

At the moment I'm most concerned about my friend and fellow author Ripley Patton. Her house deteriorated through successive aftershocks. According to her Livejournal they have found another place nearby, but I can only imagine how hard it must be to pack up a house that's falling apart around you. Thinking of you, Ripley.

Please consider donating to one of the earthquake appeals.

No comments: