26 May 2006

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Finally.

It looks like we are finally going to get a decent DVD version of Blade Runner - the director's cut. Which is, of course, one of my favorite films of all time. And no doubt film school students everywhere will be clutching their three-ring binders in ecstasy.

But there's more coming. The final, definitive, 'Ridley Scott is really happy with this one' version, is due for theatrical release in 2007. Which means I'll go along and pay, again, for a movie I have seen far too many times already. Then I'll buy the new version on DVD, even though I own it already on VHS and DVD. And if there's a new version of the soundtrack, I'll buy that too, although I already own two copies: the original London Symphony Orchestra & Vangelis version and the Director's cut just-Vangelis-but-some-different tracks one. Because really, the film is just that good.

Blade Runner final cut due

One caveat. Just because it's OK for Ridley Scott to go back and tinker with Blade Runner, that does not mean that George Lucas has any business going back to any of his movies and doing anything else with them, ever. Except for Howard the Duck. Go nuts on that one, George.

No comments: